Being big, however, requires a big appetite, and so the Apatosaurus must consume at a very frequent rate. Fortunately, it's not a picky eater: Its diet consists of almost any kind of plant, and it can even consume trees as an adult. It also must drink copious amounts of water, and this sometimes causes it to sip entire ponds straight up dry!
Thanks to its immense bulk, the Apatosaurus has superb resistance to harsh weather and boasts the highest amount of HP in the game, as well as being able to attack from any angle with incredible knockback and damage, making it VERY hard to for any predator to kill. This effectively discourages almost every predator from attacking it in the first place, letting the Apatosaurus live a generally peaceful and undisturbed adult life.
Pros and Cons
+ Titanic health pool
+ Incredible damage output
+ High weather resistance
- Very slow
- Is vulnerable when young
- Requires a lot of time to grow
- Primary Attack: The Apatosaurus rears up, then stomps the ground, severely damaging nearby creatures or killing them instantly. You cannot move whilst performing this attack.
- Secondary Attack: A tail whip attack, which is much more potent than its stomp attack. This attack should be the primary means of defense for the Apatosaurus. Hold Rick Click to coil up the Apatosaurus' tail. When released, the tail will shoot forwards and crack like a whip, dealing incredible health damage and heavy knockback to anything it hits. Keep in mind that for every second the tail is coiled up, ability power is drained, so don't hold it on for too long or you might end up draining too much ability power!
Unique Attribute: The Apatosaurus has THREE Unique Attributes.
Firstly, it possesses the highest weather resistance of any terrestrial creature. It is also capable of granting some of its weather resistance to nearby herd members, effectively making the Apatosaurus a 'waking shelter'.
Secondly, when the Apatosaurus walks, its huge footsteps knock nearby creatures out of its way.
Thirdly, the Apatosaurus is capable of walking backwards. This is to prevent attackers from hiding under its hind legs, which are not in range of the whip attack. Walking backwards will cause them to be knocked back and into the range of the whip attack. In order to walk backwards, a player must toggle the crouch keybind.
The Apatosaurus's huge size causes it to walk at a lumbering pace. It is in fact the slowest creature in the game, and most creatures are able to out-speed it simply by walking. Thus, fast creatures can give it a hard time by performing hit-and-run tactics on it. A Utahraptor pack is able to pull this off quite decently.
Additionally, large carnivores such as the Acrocanthosaurus can inflict serious bleed damage to an Apatosaurus, as well as survive multiple tail whip attacks, making it a threat to the Apatosaurus.
Despite this, the Apatosaurus still remains a very dangerous creature to fight, and it is not uncommon to see an Apatosaurus completely overwhelm its opponent.
- The Apatosaurus can be a very effective creature for deliberately beaching any aquatic creatures in a lake.
- Implementation of the tail-whip mechanic was claimed to be one of the most difficult mechanics to program.
More information is available in the Apatosaurus Spotlight Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Av8hodDntk