The Pteranodon is a playable flying creature in Beasts of Bermuda. It is the fastest and most mobile creature in the game, able to soar through the skies at incredible speeds. This lets it able to access areas no other creature can reach, such as isolated landmasses and high mountains. Some mountains even provide it perfect shelter against storms!
As for its diet, the Pteranodon is piscivorous. It will regularly plunge into the ocean to catch fish - but it's not limited to eating just fish. It can become a scavenger, feasting on decaying meat if enough Scavenger points are put into its Ability Tree, as well as being able to kill other creatures by launching a deadly aerial assault from the sky - or even by grabbing and dropping them! With its greatly adjustable diet, ability to fly and fast growth time, the Pteranodon has a high chance of successfully reaching its adult stage... provided it doesn't crash into anything!
Pros and Cons
+ Incredible speed
+ Adaptable diet
+ Can smell far-away carcasses while flying
+ Has little trouble catching and eating fish
+ Fast Growth
+ Can strike an opponent at blinding speed
+ Has access to the Baby Snatcher talent
- Has naturally low base health
- A crash-landing can cost you a broken wing, or your life
- Can be ambushed while on the ground
- Easy prey for aquatic predators
- Low weather tolerance
- Primary Attack: A fast bite. The damage is based on how fast the Pteranodon is moving, with higher speeds totaling more bite damage, and slower speeds dealing very weak damage.
- Secondary Attack: Has identical damage values to the Primary Attack, except it makes the Pteranodon bite downwards instead of forwards.
- Special Ability - Baby Snatcher: The Pteranodon must unlock this talent in order to utilize it. Once unlocked, it will be able to grab smaller creatures by holding the ability key next to them. As the victim is held, Ability power will slowly deplete (meaning you cannot hold them forever), and you are not able to attack the grabbed victim. However, you can let them go while flying and cause them to fall to their death.
Unique Attribute: The Pteranodon can use the scent key to briefly highlight all nearby fish, making them much easier to spot.
If the Pteranodon crashes into the ground, it will receive massive injury. Most of the time, it will die from such a fall. However, if miraculously alive, it is still susceptible to being found and preyed upon by carnivores who have detected its scent.
The Pteranodon is also incredibly sensitive to harsh weather due to its very poor weather resistance stat. Not even Ability Tree investments in Weather Resistance will completely solve this problem. It is forced to take refuge from even mild storms.
Lastly, an aquatic predator can quickly snatch a Pteranodon while it is fishing. While this doesn't often happen, it doesn't mean it wont happen. _________________________________________________________
- The Pteranodon's flight mechanics were inspired by the Pteranodon of Primal Carnage: a combat game where humans and dinosaurs do battle.
- The Pteranodon's current model is not scientifically accurate. Its feet are misaligned and its walking posture is slouched. Unfortunately, this is because the model's rig is limited, forcing it to be animated the way it is now.
- The noises of the Pteranodon were made by modifying Emu sounds.